10 Things Good Leaders Do In Challenging Times (And How They Do Them)
To select top leaders who will lead in an uncertain business environment, you need to understand what does it really mean to be a good leader in your organization? There are certain things all good leaders do, such as communicating effectively, providing direction, instilling trust, etc. But what does that really mean on a day-to-day basis? Take this short quiz and try to match the 10 Things Good Leaders Do (left column) with their practical daily applications (right column). See if you know what it REALLY takes to be a good leader!
- Listen to Others
- Process Information
- Communicate Effectively
- Instill Trust
- Provide Direction
- Delegate Responsibility
- Cultivate Individual Talents
- Motivate Successfully
- Build Personal Relationships
- Facilitate Team Success
HOW LEADERS DO IT:
- Keeps promises
- Is a patient, helpful, effective coach
- Solicits ideas, suggestions and
opinions from others
- Shows consideration for the feelings of others
- Identifies the core element of an issue
- Creates an atmosphere of team cooperation over competition
- Covers an issue effectively without overdoing it
- Keeps focus on big picture while implementing details
- Gives others authority to independently fulfill responsibilities
- Gives recognition to producers of high quality work
Answers to the Quiz
- Listen to Others -- Solicit ideas, suggestions and opinions from others
- Process Information -- Identify the core element of an issue
- Communicate Effectively -- Cover an issue thoroughly without overdoing it
- Instill Trust -- Keep promises
- Provide Direction -- Keep focus on big picture while implementing details
- Delegate Responsibility -- Give others authority to independently fulfill responsibilities
- Cultivate Individual Talents -- Is a patient, helpful, effective coach
- Motivate Successfully -- Give recognition to producers of high quality work
- Build Personal Relationships -- Show consideration for the feelings of others
- Facilitate Team Success -- Create an atmosphere of team cooperation over competition
Items for this quiz, “10 Things Good Leaders Do” and, “How Leaders Do It” were taken from the 18 skill sets and 70 corresponding survey items in the CheckPoint™ Management Development System. To learn more about this and other assessment tools that can help with the selection and ongoing development of your future leaders visit us at www.KnowYourPeople.ca
Myth #9: Low turnover or no turnover is a good sign we're doing a lot of things very well. Why rock the boat?
A mid-sized road construction company cements its competitive advantage through an innovative approach to hiring.
Unfortunately, what you think isn't what matters.
How well do your employees understand it, how strongly do they support it, and do they know what to do to achieve it? Frankly, the odds are not in ...